So its been an eventful month. The kids got sick,Steve ended up with full blown pneumonia while dh was up north,i got sick but as usual i kept going a million miles a minute. thought it was flu and it would get better eventually.Long story short,went to see dr and was admitted immediately to the hopsickle.I guess i had double pneumonia-yeah,hate to do anything half way lol. So after six million questions the dr appears with six nurses in hazmat suits!!!! i got stuck in an isolation room for a week!!!During which time every test and torture known to man was performed (i think that was why they needed the protective gear so i couldn't identify them lol)They even SEWED a medport into me (i tried suggesting bandaids or sticky tape)
I missed my kids so badly and was more than a little afraid.For the first time i wondered if id die (mostly i wondered if they made caskets for fat people lol).I confessed every sin i could think of that id ever done,including accidentaly cooking that lizard when i made josh leave him outside.
If the pulmonary specialist had his way id still be there but my dr took pity on me and let me come home on oxygen with the promise that ill rest for a week.If its not better on Monday then im pretty sure he will turn me over to the scary guy. Im feeling better and have gone without oxygen for a couple of hours at a time and been ok.Plus ive had blessings so im pretty sure it will be ok.
I realised how blessed i am to have such great kids and friends who helped out in so many ways.I learned mostly never to take life for granted.
7 comments:
I hope you'll feel up to emailing soon. I miss you like crazy! You've been (and continue to be) in our prayers here. Please take care of yourself.
Love you!!
You cutie,i appreciate the prayers.My appt with the dr is in the morning so lets pray he lets me stay home.Ive been off oxygen for two hours a day and feeling better each day so i think its gonna be ok.When they put the med port in i was thinking about you and all you have had to go through-i started bawling and the poor nurse thought it was cos of the pain lol.I'll email you tonight once i get the kids in bed!!((((((hugs)))))
How did they do your port, since it was (I guess?) only temporary? Do you still have it? I was under general anesthesia when I got mine done, as it's completely under the skin. I didn't know anyone other than cancer patients got ports. I'm just so glad you're doing better!! Still looking for an email from you...but I'm cutting you a tiny bit of slack, since you've been so sick. :)
Love you tons!
I got a med port sewn into my upper arm.They last for 3 weeks and it ws an 8 inch thin line that they threaded up a vein and into my chest cavity. They had me draped so it was sterile and they numbed it.they used an ultrasound machine to guide it in so it only took about 30 mins. Ryan said the needle was huge and there was tons of blood but i didnt care at that point i was too sick.i was on loritab and codeine as well.It would only give blood for a few days and i ended up having to have another iv for the ct scan which was a nightmare to get in.I had so many meds that the port turned out to be a huge blessing
Oh, okay, so it was a PICC line, then? I see lots of patients at the cancer center with them. My port is imbedded in my upper chest and the tubing feeds over into a vein. The first port I had was a breeze, never gave us any problems. This one often refuses to give blood return, but always receives fluids & drugs just fine. It makes chemo a tiny bit more painful than if I had a PICC line in my arm, because they do have to stick the needle in through my skin each time to access my port, whereas with a PICC line, the tubing stays in place and that is where the needle goes. It gives me the heebie-jeebies when they can't get the needle in there right and have to move it around--I can't stand that!! On Tuesday, after chemo, they couldn't get blood from my port and were going to try to reposition the needle; I said, "Take it from my hand! Take it from my hand!!" because I just HATE that repositioning of the needle! So, they took the blood from my hand instead; poor hand hasn't been bruise-free since the end of last year, lol. But you're so right, having a port is a huge blessing when you're having to get so many drugs, especially over a long period of time.
I would fight tooth and nail if someone tried to take my Vicodin (same drug as Lortab) from me, lol. That and my Xanax, though if I had to choose, I would choose Vicodin. Yeah, I've turned into a junkie...and after being such a good girl as a teenager in the 60s & 70s when everyone else was getting stoned, lol.
Right now im not on loritab though the dr gave me a choice.I was having a few good days but since ive been coughing so much im in a lot of pain-the breathing treatments make it worse not better.
After the picc line stopped giving blood i had to be poked everywhere including along my bones-i hate when they dig around i was sobbing and begging them to stop,finally someone from iv therapy came and did it.I long to feel better and dread my weekly x-rays incase they put my back in the hospital.Im praying hard that your blood counts come up and that your energy returns.I have none and was told not to expect any for awhile.Patience has never been a strong point lol.
You and me both on the lack of energy, Toots! My muscles are just screaming and walking across the room wears me out. I've spent more hours in bed than out over the past two days. We're just a couple of basket cases! :(
You never did tell me...what happened about moving?
Love you & am praying for you always!
Post a Comment